Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Unsent Letters


24th April was a very important day in my life. This was the day when my mom and dad got married 25 years ago. And I have seen, their love for each other have only grown with each passing day. They were the perfect couple according to me. And I have a perfect family.
This was 23rd of April and still didn’t have any idea about the gift. It was for the first time I was planning for a gift to make the day special for him in last 17 years. My sister was there to help me but I couldn’t like any of her ideas. And now I was on my own to decide.
In these tough decision making moments, I reached the study of my dad. It was the place where I was not allowed more often. But today was different. No one was home. So I was free to walk around the home anywhere. I started to search the study. May be I get something or some idea. And in the process, I got something. Something very unusual and very old.
These were the letters. Letters full of love and emotions. Letters full of care and restless moments. And as I know, it was the handwriting of Dad. But for whom he wrote it. There was no name on any of the letters. I was surprised to know that he loved someone so much in his college days. He was a lover boy. But who was the lucky girl. No, it can’t be mom coz she is almost 5 years younger than Dad. There were a lot of questions going through my mind. The answers were only with dad or may be with his friends.
Anyway, I was there for the gift idea which I didn’t get. I took those letters and got out of the study room. Wait! Can these letters turn to be a good gift? No. It can’t. So what next? But still I was curious to know the name. The name which was the Favorite name for my Dad in his younger days.  Its not fare yaar. According to the letters, he couldn’t share hi feelings to the girl. It must reach to that girl, I thought. Now after 25 years, actually it doesn’t mean anything. But at least we must know the name of the lucky girl. Dad should share the story to us. My not so mature mind had a plan.
“Hey guys, It’s a very special day for my family. And today I have something special for you all.” I said. Not much people were present as it was a family gathering. Our family, some of the relatives and friends were only present there.
Everyone looked at me.
“Yes guys, I have some letters in my pocket. These are not just the letters but a heart of the lover boy. A boy who loved but couldn’t get it. He pour the heart out on these few blank papers but couldn’t send it to the girl whom he loved. Almost after 27 years those unsent letters are with his son and this time the wants to know the name of that lucky girl.” I said again. Everyone had a surprising look on their faces. Especially dad and mom. My sister was a part of the plan.
“And that lover boy is present in this party. What say dad…?” it was my sister who took me over.
Now the attentions were on Dad’s face. And he had the expression like he doesn’t know anything.
“You can’t lie Dad. We have the letters and it’s your handwriting? So tell us everything, and first thing first, the name?” she continued.
“Yes Ravi, I agree with the Rahul and Rimi. You have to tell it Please….” Mom smiled and said.
“Okay…..” Finally Dad got up. He held the hands of mom and started saying.
“Its almost 28 years old story. I saw a very pretty and simple girl and fell in love with her. Though I was very senior to her but still her presence around me was enough to increase my heartbeat. Her one smile was enough to let me forget all my pain. Days passed, years passed but I couldn’t tell her about my feelings. Though I was an intelligent boy but in front of her I was the dumbest. Just because I was not sure of her feelings, I couldn’t say it. I wrote many letters but never sent any of them. And then one day…..” he stopped and looked into the eyes of mom. She was smiling. A smile which I couldn’t understand.
“Then what……” lot of voices said in chorus. I was one of them.
“And one day Neena told me. She told me that that girl also loves me. she told me that she loves me very much.”
“Then…?”
“Then what? Then we got married and soon we had two dumbest kids in our life. You duffers….” Mom said this time. And everyone started laughing, including me.
I gave the letter to the one whom it belonged. I handed all the letters to mom. She read it. She smiled and cried at the same time. And dad wiped the tears out like always.  
I was the happiest person right now. Because Dad was always with the love of his life. Because they loves each other so much. And because I was their son.
But some people are there who are not lucky to spend their life with their loved ones. Many people are around who couldn’t share their feelings to the one they loved. For them just one advice, Say it if you are in love. May be you are the next lucky person like my mom and dad.
It was the story of Rahul and his family. Let see, how lucky I am going to be in my life……!!!!                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment