Monday 29 July 2013

Status symbol

He believed love. He valued relations. At least, as I knew him. As a friend and as space we shared from last five years. But today, as I am staring at him and he us walking away from me, he is looking like a stranger to me. I feel like, I don't even know a little bit of him.
He had a lot of people around him. Few good friends and a sweet, loving family. But the special place inside his heart was always vaccant. He wanted someone to fill that place in his life. He wanted someone who could understand him and care for him and love him. And I always believed that one day he would lead an endless relationship one day.
A true person he was, who knew the meaning of losing. And also he knew the meaning of waiting. Once when in school, he fell in love. But couldn't make his story as it was one sided and this ended before it started. Still, with the emotions he talked about that girl was enough for me to realize that he can never fake. He can never hurt a person.
This time when he got back to meet me after almost 6 months, he told me he is in a relationship. I was more than happy for him. Finally the space was filled. I congratulated him and asked many thing about the girl.
But, when I asked him about the future plans with his girlfriend, I was amazed with his response. I never expected this kind of reply from him. From any other guy I could have accepted it as I know how people think about a girl or a relationship today. But this was not just the other guy. He was the one who alway respected these things.
" Look yaar. I know it doesn't sound like me but really, she is just a status symbol for me in my college. She is a beautiful and good at academics too and a girlfriend like her ranks you on top among your friends. And I am enjoying this. One more year and I will walk my way. That's it."
His words were still echoing in my ears as he was waiting few steps away for me. He was looking at me and I was re- thinking my view about him. Does he really respect relations? Does he even respect a girl?  And friendship? Everything seemed fake....!!
    Kundan Vidyarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment